NENA Annual Meeting – We will be hosting an in-person event on Aug. 17 at Lake Nokomis Community Center Picnic Shelter (2401 E. Minnehaha Parkway). Learn about neighborhood news, hear from speakers, enjoy treats from Berry Sweet Kitchen, and get involved in planning for NENA’s future priorities. For more info, visit www.nokomiseast.org/nena-annual-meeting/
Ward 12 Candidate Forum
On Aug. 4 at 6:30 p.m., the League of Women Voters – Minnesota, along with the Ward 12 neighborhood organizations, including NENA, are hosting an online candidate forum with the Ward 12 City Council Candidates. This online live event will be streaming. We welcome questions ahead of time and during the event. More information and where to watch is available at www.nokomiseast.org/election/
The Ward 11 neighborhood organizations will be scheduling a candidate forum in September.
Fun local events
• Nokomis East Crazy Days return – Local businesses and the Nokomis East Business Association (NEBA) are bringing back this local favorite during the weekend of Aug. 6-8. Activities include an outdoor concert night on Friday, sales and information booths all day on Saturday on 34th Avenue, and sites throughout Nokomis East. Visit www.nokomiseastba.com to learn more and stop by the NENA table on Friday and Saturday! (Details on pages 8-9 in this Messenger.)
• NENA and the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board are thrilled to organize the 12th Annual Minneapolis Monarch Festival on Sept. 11, at Lake Nokomis. Visit www.monarchfestival.org
• NENA is hosting a fall Food Truck Rally on Sept. 25. New location at 34th Avenue and 50th Street, more food trucks, and live music. We are raising funds for the Nokomis East Free Food Distribution program.
• Nokomis East Free Food Distributions – On the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month, NENA hosts a free food distribution at 5735 Sander Drive from 2-4 p.m. All are welcome, and volunteers are needed. Items include dairy, meat, fresh produce, pantry staples, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and culturally appropriate food options. For more information, visit www.nokomiseast.org/nokomis-east-free-food-distribution/
• Minnehaha Food Shelf – Every Tuesday, the Minnehaha Food Shelf is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 3701 E. 50th Street. For more information, visit www.minnehaha.org/foodshelf.html
Meetings and events:
8/4/2021: Ward 12 Candidate Forum at 6:30 p.m., online
8/11/2021: Nokomis East Free Food Distribution at 2-4 p.m.
8/17/2021: NENA Annual Meeting at 6:30 p.m., Lake Nokomis Center Picnic Shelter
8/19/2021: NENA Green Initiatives Committee at 6:30 p.m., Via Zoom
8/25/2021: Nokomis East Free Food Distribution at 2-4 p.m.
8/26/2021: NENA Board of Directors at 6:30 p.m., Via Zoom
More at www.nokomiseast.org.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here