First, a little bragging from 2020. NENA supported 97 homeowners, property owners, and 11 businesses with over $130,000 in grants and loans. In addition, we brought in more than half a million dollars in matching funds to our community.
Find more information on the following projects at nokomis.org
• Run for a Seat on NENA's Board of Directors - NENA will be hosting its online annual meeting on April 22, 2021. Again, we will offer online and telephone voting to elect our new Board of Directors members. Run for a seat and join us for a meaningful volunteering experience.
• Food Truck Rally - NENA is planning a spring event on Saturday, April 17, 2021, to raise money for the Nokomis East Food Distribution project. We also hope to safely bring back the NENA Kickball Tournament and Fundraiser in July. Mark your calendars!
• Earth Day Neighborhood Clean-Up - NENA's Green Initiatives Committee is planning a neighborhood clean-up in April. More details to come. Join the committee on the third Thursday of the month.
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee - NENA's newest committee has launched several exciting projects including a social media campaign Honoring Black History Month. Join us on the first Tuesday of the month.
• Nokomis East Community Gardens - Community gardeners are starting plans for the 2021 season. Volunteers are welcome for the Giving Garden (food production for local food shelves), the Gateway Garden (Pollinator garden by the 50th LRT station), and the Nokomis Naturescape (Pollinator garden at Lake Nokomis). All volunteer skill levels appreciated!
• 2021 Garage Sale Day - NENA, Standish-Ericsson Neighborhood Association, and the Corcoran Neighborhood Organization are starting plans for a Garage Sale Day in June.
• We're moving - In April, NENA will be moving to a smaller office above Casa Maria at 34th and 50th. Crosstown Covenant Church is donating space for the Nokomis East Food Distribution Project. See below for more information about distribution days.
Nokomis East food distribution
Please join NENA every Tuesday and Thursday in March from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the Nokomis East Free Food Distributions. We offer a wide selection of dairy, meat, staples, cleaning supplies, and personal care items. We are located at 4313 E. 54th Street. All are welcome!
Please call or text Karla Arredondo, NENA community organizer at (612) 293-9683 to schedule a pick-up time. Please wear a mask and practice social distancing.
We also need volunteers for pre-packing and donations of clean paper and reusable grocery bags. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Minnehaha Food Shelf is an additional resource open on Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., located at 3701 E. 50th Street. More info at www.minnehaha.org/foodshelf
Curb appeal matching grants re-open on April 1
Planning an exterior project visible from the sidewalk? Plan to apply! Grants are available for homeowners, renters, and residential property owners in the four Nokomis East neighborhoods of Keewaydin, Minnehaha, Morris Park, and Wenonah.
Examples of eligible exterior improvements may include, but are not limited to painting and trim work, exterior lighting, masonry work and tuck-pointing, restoration of historically appropriate exterior finishes, and hardscaping.
Eligible participants can apply for up to $500 in matching grant funds. This is a one-to-one matching grant and a reimbursement project. This is a first-come, first-served program. Visit NENA’s website at nokomiseast.org/curb-appeal-matching-grants/ for more program information and to apply starting on April 2, 2021.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here