On Saturday, Oct. 9, from 10 a.m. to noon, NENA and the Standish Ericsson Neighborhood Association (SENA) are hosting a fall neighborhood clean-up event at Minnehaha Creek. For more information and to reserve your spot, visit https://www.facebook.com/events/225960032870995
Now is a great time to adopt a drain near you! This year's drought has stressed our trees, which could make for an early leaf drop. Storm drains flow directly to local lakes, rivers, and wetlands, forming a conduit for trash and organic pollutants. By adopting a drain, you can help keep Lake Nokomis, Lake Hiawatha, and Minnehaha Creek clean! Visit www.adopt-a-drain.org.
Free food distributions
• Nokomis East Free Food Distributions – NENA hosts a free food distribution from 2-4 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month at Crosstown Covenant Church (5540 30th Ave S.). Visit www.nokomiseast.org/nokomis-east-free-food-distribution/
• Minnehaha Food Shelf – Every Tuesday, the Minnehaha Food Shelf is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 3701 E. 50th Street. Visit www.minnehaha.org/foodshelf.html
1. Minnesota Energy Assistance Program - More Minnesotans are eligible for energy assistance than ever before. Get up to $1,600 to help pay your energy bills. With one application to Minnesota's Energy Assistance Program, households can get help with energy bills, weatherization to cut energy costs, and NEW in 2021 - help paying water bills. Visit mn.gov/commerce/eap.jsp
2. Home Foreclosure Prevention - The city of Minneapolis, is partnering with Hennepin County and Minnesota Homeownership Center to create and administer the Hennepin Homeownership Preservation Program (HHPP). HHPP promotes foreclosure prevention advice to residents of Hennepin County, including the City of Minneapolis. Limited financial assistance for past-due mortgage and utility payments will be available to homeowners who are below 50% of area median income (AMI), were economically impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and have completed foreclosure counseling. Learn more about full program guidelines at https://www.hocmn.org/HennepinHPP/. Or call 651-236-8952 for more information.
3. Sustaining Your Home’s Affordability -The City also supports the City of Lakes Community Land Trust (CLCLT) with their Project: Sustained Legacy (P:SL), which focuses on assisting existing homeowners with the potential loss of housing while remaining in their home. CLCLT invests in debt restructuring for a sustainable housing payment and/or significant rehabilitation in exchange for the homeowner enrolling in a perpetually affordable housing model that will sustain a home's affordability to future purchasers. More Info at https://www.clclt.org/copy-of-partnership-developments
4. NENA’s Home Programs – NENA offers several programs, including low-interest home improvement loans, the Staying in Place grants, and the very popular Curb Appeal grants and Home Security rebates. Visit www.nokomiseast.org.
Upcoming Meetings and Events:
10/5/2021: NENA Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee at 6:30 pm, Online
10/9/2021: NENA & SENA Minnehaha Creek Clean-Up at 10:00 am
10/13/2021: Nokomis East Free Food Distribution at 2:00 – 4:00 pm
10/21/2021: NENA Green Initiatives Committee at 6:30 pm, Online
10/27/2021: Nokomis East Free Food Distribution at 2:00 – 4:00 pm
10/28/2021: NENA Board of Directors at 6:30 pm, Online
Phone: (612) 724-5652